Top tips for staying at Alder Hey
Knowing that you’re going to hospital can be stressful. It’s easy to forget the little things that might make you and your family’s lives easier. So, we’ve put together this page of helpful advice from parents who have visited us before.
Some things to note:
- There are parent beds next to every patient bed in our wards. If you’re going to need a place to stay long term, then ask your child’s care team about Ronald McDonald House.
- There are multiple places to get food or hot and cold drinks in our hospital building. You can also get magazines, sweets, cards and more from the WHSmith on-site
- If you don’t like the food options on-site, there are lots of restaurants and shops nearby on Eaton Road and East Prescot Road
- There’s a Sainsbury’s and Aldi within easy walking distance of the hospital
Things to pack for your child
- Snacks that your child likes
- Their favourite toy, teddy or comfort blanket (please wash in advance of your visit to help with infection control in our wards)
- Nightwear – pyjamas, slippers, and dressing gown
- Spare comfortable clothes and underwear
- Things to help pass the time such as comics, colouring books, games, tablet device
Things to pack for babies and young children
- Dummies (if needed)
- Teething gel or toys
- Baby wipes
- Nappy rash cream.
Things to pack for yourself
- Essential toiletries including a toothbrush, toothpaste, and razors
- Mobile phone and charger
- Cool, comfortable clothes and spare underwear
- Something warm, such as a jumper.
- Books or magazines
- A tablet device – you can use our free Wi-Fi to access the internet
- Headphones for electronic devices – to be used for a night on the ward
- Tea/coffee and a mug to use on the ward
- Your own pillow
Bringing the above items with you will help to make your stay with us as easy and stress-free as possible. If you have forgotten an item, please speak to a member of ward staff as there may be some items spare that can be provided to you.