How to use
- Fit the two halves of the Volumatic spacer together.
- Remove the mouthpiece cover from the metered dose inhaler (MDI).
- Shake the inhaler and insert into the Volumatic spacer.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth between teeth. Close lips firmly but do not bite
mouthpiece. Do not put your lips over the side holes of the mouthpiece, as the valve
will not work.
- Press down on the cannister of the inhaler to release ONE puff of medicine. Continue
breathing normally for 5 slow breaths. You should be able to hear the valve ‘click’, as you
breath in and out.
- Remove the volumatic from your mouth.
- Wait for 30 seconds before repeating steps 3-6.
- When using this method for inhaled steroids, remember to rinse your mouth out with water
after treatment and/or brush your teeth.
Looking after your spacer
- If using daily, the Volumatic spacer should be washed at least twice a week
- Pull apart the two halves of the spacer
- Wash in warm soapy water
- Do not rinse (as this creates static)
- Leave to dry at room temperature until completely dry
- Do not rub the inside with a cloth, as this will also cause static
- The large Volumatic spacer device should be replaced every 12 months,via GP
This leaflet only gives general information. You must always discuss the individual treatment of your child with the appropriate member of staff. Do not rely on this leaflet alone for information about your child’s treatment.
This information can be made available in other languages and formats if requested.