How to use
- Fit the two halves of the volumatic together, attach the face mask to the volumatic.
- Remove the mouthpiece cover from the metered dose inhaler (MDI).
- Shake the inhaler and insert into the Volumatic.
- Apply the mask to the child’s face covering nose and mouth, so there are no gaps around the mask.
- Press the inhaler canister once to release a dose of medication, keeping the mask on the child’s face for 20 seconds of normal breathing.
- You should be able to hear the mouthpiece valve ‘click’ or rattle as your child breathes in and out. If you do not hear a click, hold the spacer device at an angle to allow the valve to stay open.
- Wait for 30 seconds before repeating steps 3 – 7, if required.
- When using this method for inhaled steroids, remember to rinse the child’s mouth out with water after treatment and/or brush their teeth.
Looking after Your Spacer
- If using daily, the Volumatic and mask should be washed at least twice a week
- Pull apart the two halves of the spacer
- Wash in warm soapy water
- Do not rinse (as this creates static)
- Leave to dry at room temperature until completely dry
- Do not rub the inside with a cloth, as this will also cause static
- The large Volumatic spacer device should be replaced every 12 months, via the GP
This leaflet only gives general information. You must always discuss the individual treatment of your child with the appropriate member of staff. Do not rely on this leaflet alone for information about your child’s treatment.
This information can be made available in other languages and formats if requested.