You may have heard, either from your pharmacist or in the media, that there is a global shortage of some types of ADHD medicines. Rest assured that we are aware of this situation and are preparing carefully considered responses. The medications that we are experiencing shortages of include:
- Equasym XL 10, 20 and 30 mg capsules
- Xaggitin XL 18 and 36 mg prolonged-release tablets
- Concerta XL 54 mg prolonged-release tablets
- Xenidate XL 27 mg prolonged-release tablets
- Elvanse 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mg capsules
- Intuniv 1, 2, 3 and 4 mg prolonged-release tablet
Atomoxetine is also in short supply
As a result, when you next collect your prescription, the branding or dosage may look different to what you usually have. This will probably be explained to you by the pharmacist.
The shortage is caused by a combination of manufacturing issues and an increase in global demand. We do not have a supply of the medications in the hospital pharmacy.
You wont receive more than 6 weeks of medication at a time as we try to make the supply cover everyone that needs it. Please don’t submit a request sooner than the 10 days before you run out of medication. The team are even busier than usual and we will try to get to you before you need your next prescription but if you are concerned please email us on our dedicated address [email protected]
If we need to make changes to your child’s prescription, we will contact you directly in order of when we think your current medication supply is likely to run out. If you are concerned because your pharmacist cannot get a supply, then please contact us by email at this address: [email protected].
The following medications, also commonly used to treat ADHD, continue to be in good supply.
Methylphenidate immediate release tablet:
Methylphenidate (8-hour release):
- Medikinet XL prolonged release capsules
Methylphenidate prolonged release tablets (12-hour release):
- Matoride XL
- Delmosart XL
- Affenid XL (these can be used as a direct replacement for affected strengths of Concerta Xl, Xenidate XL, Xaggitin XL)