Day case surgery
Visits for minor surgical procedures are often carried out within a day. We have a dedicated area providing care from admission to discharge on the ground floor of the hospital. Our day case surgery unit sees around 8,000 patients every year.
Admissions are timed in batches to further reduce the time your child needs to be in the hospital. Our Day Case Surgical Team were shortlisted for 'Improving the Value of Surgical Services' category at HSJ Value in Healthcare Awards 2017, in recognition of their work on batched admissions. While waiting for their operation, your children can create their own fish in our virtual aquarium!
If your child needs day case surgery we will tell you at your appointment and explain what happens next.
Before your admission date, you will receive a letter which contains important information that will help you prepare for the day.
What you need to know
- Please read your patient letter carefully as this has all the important information you need before the day.
- You should receive a reminder call from the Day Case Surgery team 72 hours before your appointment. If you haven’t spoken to the team by this time then please call 0151 252 5455.
- Check your arrival time on your patient letter. Arriving on time for your appointment will mean less time waiting.
- Due to limited waiting space, we ask that where possible, one parent or carer accompanies their child to the appointment.
- You can bring some home comforts like your phone and favourite toy but please don’t bring anything larger than a small bag.
We’re here to help
If you don’t understand something or have a question about the procedure then please call 0151 252 5455.
Painbusting – feeling sick or sore after an operation
It’s important for us to be able to help children manage any pain or discomfort after their procedure and we encourage children to tell us if they don’t feel well when they wake up. As part of preparing your child for their operation, please download and read Painbusters, a cartoon guide to managing pain, designed for the whole family.