Alder Hey is a leading paediatric research centre. Our aim is to be a world class centre for research, innovation and education, and we aim to pioneer and develop new treatments for children and young people.
This is made possible by a comprehensive range of paediatric specialist and general clinical services, its expert healthcare professional workforce and its extensive access to a supra-regional population of children and young people. At any time there are over 100 clinical research studies taking place, ranging from observational studies to complex, interventional clinical trials supported by the NIHR Alder Hey Clinical Research Facility.
Alder Hey was announced as a finalist in the Clinical Research Impact category of the 2013 HSJ Awards and is the highest performing Specialist NHS Trust within the NIHR Clinical Research Network.
Changing Lives through Research brochure
- Download a pdf copy of the Changing Lives at Alder Hey Through Research brochure here.
Alder Hey has a number of academic partners including the University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores University, University of Central Lancashire, Lancaster University and Edge Hill University. Alder Hey is a member of Liverpool Health Partners and has collaborations in the UK and internationally with a large number of healthcare institutions, universities and commercial organisations.
Several of our staff hold contracts with partner academic institutions ensuring that our research across the translational spectrum is relevant and meaningful for both children & families and healthcare professionals.
Our Key Aims
Our key research aims are underpinned by a research strategy developed in collaboration with the University of Liverpool and published in 2012:
- To have a major beneficial impact on the lives of children and young people
- Support, consolidate and build on existing research strengths and excellence at AHFT
- Strengthen and develop robust strategic partnerships with key partners directed at producing translational research that is world leading / internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour conducted in an environment of excellence in healthcare research.
- Target robust recruitment of high achieving, internationally competitive leaders of paediatric research
- Develop talented clinicians and scientists with potential and invest in them to support growth into world-class research leaders.
- Establish AHFT as a competitive, major recruitment centre for national and international paediatric clinical trials
- To maximise the enormous potential created by the new Children’s Health Park programme
- Nurture proactively a symbiotic relationship with the Alder Hey Charity
- To develop and promote new areas of research in line with the Trust’s clinical, business and quality strategies.