Merseyside Travel Disruption – Monday 13 March
The RMT has announced a full day of Industrial Action that will affect Northern Rail Services from 00:01 to 23:59hrs on Monday 13 March 2017.
While train users will be most directly impacted, the whole transport network is expected to be busier as people find other ways to travel. Reduced Merseyrail services are planned to run every half hour on all routes from around 7am to 7pm, but passengers are strongly advised to check the Merseyrail website and Twitter feed before travelling as it is possible that timetables will change prior to, as well as during, strike action.
NHS England (Cheshire and Merseyside) advises:
- Check before you travel: If you’re a rail user plan based on current information available, but be prepared to adapt your plans as timetables may change on Monday 13th.
- Rail stations are likely to be busier as a result of reduced rail services. Don’t aim for the last scheduled train, get there early.
- If you’re not a rail user, you’re still likely to be affected as people find alternative ways to travel. Leave longer for your journey and avoid travelling at peak times where possible.
- Bus may be a good alternative for you on strike day, with an extensive network across the Liverpool City Region. Services will be monitored and strengthened on key routes.
- The Mersey Ferries will be a good alternative if you’re travelling cross river, with frequent commuter services and free car-parking at Seacombe for 370 cars. Valid cross-river rail tickets and passes will be accepted, including for cyclists. Current arrangements remain for the cross-river bike bus.
- Stick to public transport wherever possible to reduce congestion on key routes such as the Mersey Tunnels and roads in and out of the City Centre.
- Speak to your employer about whether there is any flexibility in working times or the possibility of working from home.
- If you have no option but to drive, consider car sharing.
- For travel advice and options on Monday 13th March visit merseytravel.gov.uk/railstrike
- For the latest on Merseyrail services visit merseyrail.org/strike or follow @Merseyrail on Twitter. You can also call 0151 555 1111
- For the latest on Northern services visit nationalrail.co.uk or www.northernrailway.co.uk/industrialaction and follow @northernassist on Twitter.
- If you need additional help in planning your journeys call Merseytravel on 0151 236 7676