Alder Hey in the Park | Alder Hey Children's Hospital

Show Menu

Henry’s Story Part 12 – Problems For Mum But Henry Gets His Plaster Removed

Henry out of plasterIt’s been a while since we were able to update on Henry’s progress – but there are good reasons! In the last blog Henry had had his frame removed and had plaster put on. He loved it as he was able to move around much more, especially when his second weight-bearing cast was put on.

We were approaching the time to go back and get his plaster off and pick up his new splints when disaster number one struck! I had gone for a routine optician’s appointment and found out I had a detached retina and needed an operation. I had my operation on the Wednesday and Henry got his plaster off on the Thursday!!

So while Henry was getting used to walking on his leg properly with his splint I was very blurry eyed, struggling to see and reliant on my mum and the kids to guide me around. It was really hard for me as I felt helpless and unable to support Henry as I had through the previous stages of his treatment. He was initially very unsteady on his leg – understandable as he hadn’t properly walked on it for over four months. Henry had been given some physiotherapy exercises to do and it was amazing to see how, with the exercises, he was getting stronger on his leg every day.

Henry relished being able to do ‘normal’ stuff like having a shower, a bath and doing his swimming lessons again, though he did struggle on the poolside with no splint to support his leg.

Two weeks after starting in his splints, Henry had another physiotherapy appointment which I was able to attend with my mum acting as my eyes. Sharon was really pleased with his progress but gave him some additional exercises to rebuild some of the bum muscles that he hadn’t been using when the frame was on. Everything seemed to be going so well – and then disaster number 2 struck!!

Henry had been invited to a children’s birthday party and there was a bouncy castle…my gut instinct was to tell him to stay off the castle but he’d missed out on so much over the last few months – and it wouldn’t be fair to allow his twin sister on the castle and not let Henry on. So I let him on the castle but told him to be careful and keep his splint on. Five minutes later he came and asked to take his splint off, saying that his leg was sore with the splint on. So I said ok…five minutes later there was an almighty scream – I couldn’t really see what was going on but it was clear that Henry was hurt. I felt sick!! I was petrified that he had hurt his right leg (his frame leg)…and he had. After resting his leg with ice on, Henry had settled and his leg appeared ok, but when he tried standing on it it was clear there might be more damage than a simple bruise.

A trip to Alder Hey’s Emergency Department and an x-ray later he was back in plaster – buckle fracture to his right leg. I felt awful!! I couldn’t help but blame myself for allowing him on the castle. So once again it was back to keeping the plaster dry – no baths or swimming lessons for a few weeks – just when things were starting to get easier!!!

I spoke to Rose (Henry’s Orthopaedic Nurse Specialist) to give her the bad news – Rose was brilliant and reassured me that his fracture would not affect the treatment for his club foot – other than to delay progress by a few weeks. That was a big relief – though I still feel bad – not helped by Henry who tells everyone that it’s my fault for letting him on the castle!!

Henry’s thoughts

It was mummy’s fault that I went on the bouncy castle. Having my splints on was good because I could have a bath and wash my smelly leg. I liked having a bath and I went to swimming lessons again. When I hurt my leg I thought aaaaaahhhhhhhhh because I didn’t want to have plaster on again. I have been doing my physiotherapy exercises for my bum even with my plaster on.

Henry’s story continues soon. You can read previous parts of the story here.

Sarah, Henry’s mum, works at Alder Hey and is telling Henry’s story to help raise awareness of Bilateral Talipes (club feet). If you enjoyed reading this, or if you are a parent in a similar situation, we’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.

Your comments

  • My son was diagnosed with non union of right tibia and was in a cast and then a brace since he was 4 months old..he is four now and will undergo ilizarov surgery next month..while I was searching to get prepared for the surgery I went through your story…it gave me guidance and courage for how to deal with the situation….while reading it really made me fall into wishes for Henry in his life .

This site uses cookies to enhance your experience. Find out more about our cookies Accept cookies