The Ophthalmology team is made up of three Consultants, six Orthoptists, five Optometrists, four Nurses and two Health Care Assistants.
- Mr J. Gonzalez Martin
- Mr H. Nayak
William Newman, Consultant Paediatric and Neuro-opthalmologist
I graduated from The London Hospital Medical College in 1986. Subsequently I trained in Bournemouth, Glasgow and London undertaking fellowships in paediatric ophthalmology at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow (Yorkhill) and in neuro-ophthalmology jointly at the National Hospital for Neurology (Queen Square) and Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
In 2002 I was appointed Consultant Paediatric and Neuro-ophthalmologist at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital and St Paul’s Eye Unit in Liverpool and Hon Clinical Lecturer at Liverpool University.
I am currently the clinical lead and senior paediatric ophthalmologist at Alder Hey. Locally I am a trustee for Bradbury Fields. Nationally I am the Honorary Secretary of the Royal College of Ophthalmologist and a member of the Secretary of State for Transport’s Honorary Advisory Panel on Driving and Visual Disorders. Internationally I have participated with ORBIS and other charitable organizations to improve eye care.
My practice is in all aspects of children’s eye care and surgery. I have special interests in the effects and treatment of visual disorders following eye or brain injury, congenital or acquired, congenital cataract and the ocular management of craniofacial and oculoplastic disorders.
I maintain an adult general, cataract and neuro-ophthalmology service and have an active medicolegal practice particularly in relation to eye and brain trauma in infants and children.
- Paediatric Ophthalmology and ophthalmic surgery
- Paediatric and adult neuro-ophthalmology including cerebral visual impairment
- Paediatric ophthalmic craniofacial abnormalities and oculoplastic surgery
- Paediatric and adult cataract
- Children considered difficult to assess
- Ocular Trauma
- Medicolegal ophthalmology
MB, BS 1986
- Hon. Secretary and Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Member of the British and Irish Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Association
- Member of the American Association for Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Member of the European Paediatric and Strabismus Society
- Member of the British and Irish Neuro-ophthalmology Club
- Member of the British Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Member of the Expert Witness Institute
0151 252 5961 (secretary)
- Maureen Mitchell – Orthoptic Service Manager
- Susan Anderson
- Julie Senior
- Hilary Woodward
- Karen Dean
- Caroline Street
- Kathy Steer
- Andrew Tompkin
- Ian Cunningham
- Claire Kershaw
- Andrew Hesford
- Caroline Helm
- Jodie Pendlebury
Health Care Assistants
- Sheena Woodcock
- Mandi Cook
- Richard Hagan
- Lisa Sime
- Clare Harrison
- Sue Macdonald
- Suzanne Jones
- Carol Brady