Epilepsy Surgery - Northern Children's Epilepsy Surgery Service (NorCESS)
The Northern Children’s Epilepsy Surgery Service (NorCESS) is a new joint service between Alder Hey and Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital (CMFT). It makes up one of just four national centres offering an epilepsy surgery and rehabilitation service.
Our team has a great deal of experience in treating children with neurological conditions, and whilst an epilepsy surgery service is fairly new, it’s proven to be very successful. We operate on the brain to try to reduce seizures or even cure your child’s epilepsy, and generally we see these results in 50-75% of patients. This service combines surgical expertise and specialist rehabilitation services, ensuring all patients get the very best care.
Why you might be referred to our service
We believe that surgery can be an excellent option for many epilepsy patients and we want to help as many children as possible. Your GP or healthcare specialist may refer your child to us when:
- An MRI scan shows something that shouldn’t be there – we call this a ‘focal abnormality’
- Initial treatment doesn’t result in a seizure-free period of six months
- Emily Tolno – Epilepsy Surgery Network Co-ordinator tel: 07816 068733 / 0161 701 0769
- Andrea McLaren – Lead Nurse tel: 07896 275766 / 0151 282 4582
- Or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org