Cardiac Services - Alder Hey Heart Centre
- Dr Gordon Gladman
- Dr Rob Johnson
- Dr Caroline Jones
- Dr Joyce Lim
- Dr Nilesh Oswal
- Dr Ian Peart
- Dr Arjamand Shauq
- MBBS: Andhra University, India,
- MBA (Health): Keele University
- FRCS: Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- FRCS Cardiothoracic: Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons in Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rafael Guerrero FRCSI, FRCS(CTh),FETCS,MD
Mr Guerrero has been a Consultant Congenital Cardiac Surgeon at Alder Hey since 2012 and prior to this had been a Consultant at the Leeds Children’s Hospital from 2006.
He spent a year at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne – Australia, doing a fellowship in Congenital Cardiac Surgery.
He is one of three cardiac surgeons at Alder Hey, one of the largest children heart units in the United Kingdom. Over one hundred of our patients each year are newborn babies and all type of complex and high risk operations are performed with outcomes above the national average.
Outside work, Rafael is a keen rower, competing at national and international regattas, as well as enjoying road cycling and outdoor sports.
- Universidad Nacional de San Marcos, Lima. Peru (MB ChB)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSI)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons , Cardiothoracic Surgery (FRCS – CTh)
- Fellow of the European Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (FETCS)
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Leeds (MD)
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training – Cardiothoracic Surgery (CCST )
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Training : Yorkshire Rotation, UK
- Paediatric Cardiac Fellowship : Royal Melbourne Children’s Hospital, Australia
Membership and Affiliations
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Congenital Cardiac Association
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- World Society of Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Network
- British Medical Association
Photograph and information coming soon
I graduated from the University of Milan, Italy. Early in my surgical training, I was seconded to a clinical research registrar position at the Bristol Heart Institute where I applied for a higher degree which led to a Master of Surgery (MCh) degree.
In 2002 I obtained the accreditation with the Royal College of Surgeons and in 2006, on completion of the adult cardiothoracic training, I was appointed to the National Paediatric Cardiac Training programme spending one year at both Birmingham Children’s Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital. In 2008 he spent a further year of subspecialisation in Paris under the direction of Dr Yves Lecompte.
I was appointed in early 2010 consultant in congenital cardiothoracic surgery at the East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre in Leicester.
In 2011 I became Director of Research and Audit Lead and in December 2014 Clinical Lead for Congenital Cardiac Surgery at the same institution.
In November 2015, a month after the opening of the new hospital, I joined the Cardiac Services team at Alder Hey in the Park.
I have a broad experience of treating Congenital Heart Disease in all ages. I developed a particular interest in early one stage repair of congenital heart disease in neonates. I also have experience in surgical treatment of Adult with Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD).
My research portfolio includes publication of several scientific papers as first author and presentations at national and international meetings.
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery
- Research in Cardiac Surgery
- Training and Teaching
- MD, University of Milan, 1993
- MRCS, Royal College of Surgeons, 2002
- MCh, University of Bristol, 2006
- FRCS-CTh, Royal College of Surgeons, 2008
- EACTS: European Association of CardioThoracic Surgery
- SCTS: Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery of Great Britain
- BCCA: British Congenital Cardiac Association
- CTSNet: Cardiothoracic Network
Cardiology, Intervention and Imaging
I hold dual accreditation in Paediatrics and Paediatric Cardiology and am on the European Specialist Paediatric Cardiology Register.
I graduated from Manchester University (MBChB) in 1982 and gained MRCP (UK) in 1986. I trained in Paediatrics/Paediatric cardiology in Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester before spending three years at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto.
- BA Hons Oxon – Physics
- BM Southampton
- Cardiac MRI, evidence-based paediatric cardiology and informatics in health care
- Reviewer for Paediatric Cardiology
I have been a Consultant Paediatric Cardiologist at Alder Hey Hospital since 2008, having completed my cardiology training at Alder Hey. During my training I have completed fellowships in echocardiography and foetal cardiology at Hospital for Sick Kids (Toronto), as well as cardiac MRI at Auckland Hospital/Starship Children’s Hospital (New Zealand) and Great Ormond Street Hospital.
My area of special interests are foetal cardiology and cardiac MRI. I also have a keen interest in 3D echocardiography.